Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interview with: An Adopter

Neko was found wondering behind a theater by a police officer, who thankfully, is a pit bull owner himself.  Knowing that because of appearance, Neko would likely not survive if turned over to animal control, the officer found friends who could keep him safe.  ADR was contacted and agreed to assess Neko for our transfer program.  He passed with flying colors and his guardian angels agreed to foster him until his forever people were found.

Enter Jeff - Jeff contacted ADR having recently lost beloved dog Gracie, who he also adopted. He was ready to open his heart and home again to a dog in need.  We instantly got the "warm fuzzies" and after several emails back and forth, a phone interview and homecheck, Jeff was approved!

So here was Jeff, 3 provinces away and ready to bring home a dog he had never met. 

It turned out that Jeff has already planned a trip to Ontario, so again, sight unseen, he booked Neko a spot on his flight home.  We made the 2 hour drive to meet Jeff.  He and Neko clicked instantly, and just like that Neko was off to start his new life on the East Coast.

Neko now spends his days at 'the shop' with his new dad, going hiking and laying around in bed with HIS cat. What a perfect match!  We couldnt be happier.


Jeff agreed to answer a few questions for us regarding his adoption experience. Thanks Jeff!

How did you hear about ADR?
I heard about ADR from the petfinder.com web site.

Why did you choose to adopt from an ADR/an independent rescue?
I am a strong believer in Adoption over breeders; I feel that there are countless dogs out there without a good home and that people should STOP being so precise in selecting the “perfect breed.” I was looking for a pit/Staffy mix as I have always loved there companionship. But I would have settled for other breeds if one caught my attention.

What attracted you to Neko? This breed? A big black dog (which are very hard to place)?
To be honest, my last dog was a Staffy mix and she passed away 6 months before I applied for Neko, I told myself that if I was going to adopt another dog that it was important to get the opposite sex and different coat (colors). My last dog was beige/white and female, so Neko seemed like the perfect fit :-):-) I believe this is important because if they look different it helps to not make judgment in the new pup based on your last dog.

Did you have any reservations about adopting a dog "sight unseen", after just a short meeting?
Mostly just training and Health, when adopting you never know the full passed and habits of the dog. Once the Health check came back great it was time to get to know Neko and see what his behaviors are like and if there is anything I should be concerned about. I was shocked… he is amazing! It really shows that ADR does extensive behavior tests and is very forthcoming in the adoption process.

Was there anything that surprised you about the adoption process?
The price! I figured for an independent rescue the adoption fees would be much higher.

Is thereanything you'd change/improve?
BSL, even in my home town Neko and I get a little bit or “Breedism” as I call it, lol. Its all good tho… He makes up for it with charm and kisses :-):-) I feel like every person Neko meets helps remind them that its not the Dogs that are the problem, it’s the HUMANS!

Do you have any 'words of wisdom' for someone who is considering adopting a dog from ADR/Ontario?
Adopting a dog is a great feeling, but adopting a dog from a province where they are killed because of the way they look is an indescribable feeling.

For more information on the adoption process and to view our Adopt-A-Bulls, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment